This is the first "final blog post" I'm writing for the first of three courses. Either last week or the week prior I was on the way home with Brandon and we were discussing the semester as sort of a "it's coming to an end" discussion. We were saying, it's felt like two years since we did those initial introductions in groups of three with Susan. We were discussing how we've done so much and met so many people that it's difficult to imagine all of it occurred within the past few months - it feels like it should've taken two years. As I look back on my blogposts I'm encountering things I completely forgot doing/writing about. Things like my teachers and experience with mathematics growing up, the non-curricular teaching activity, the curricular micro-teaching and so on.
It's without doubt that I learned a lot, too much to remember. I think that's the most important thing to take away from this. I need to create a consolidated notes list, or come back to it during my long practicum to put into practice things I learned in 342 this semester. Things such as relational/instrumental understanding, arbitrary and necessary, flow theory and many more. The fast-paced nature of the semester dictates how well you can absorb the things you've encountered and learned - it really takes revisiting these concepts to truly benefit from it and put it into practice.
How could I forget "Thinking Mathematically and Being Stuck"? The more I look back on these blogposts, the more I'm realizing that I will unearth more from them if I revisit them during my long practicum. There's no reference point for me to read them right now other than myself as I grew during the semester. I think a much more enlightening use of it could be to see my students during my long practicum as a reflection of myself as a student in this course and understanding that what they are experiencing in my classroom could be captured by what I experienced as a student in Susan's classroom. Something to think about further for sure...
No comments:
Post a Comment