I think I missed quite a bit of Mihalyi Czikszentmihalyi's TED Talk on "flow" and happiness because I was living it. Susan gave us a math problem involving the order of cards in which I was completely enveloped. Even the times at which I stopped working on the problem and started watching the video, some part of my attention was still fixated on solving the problem. I was in "flow". It's not the first time I've experienced it but it is the first time I've been aware of what I'm experiencing - it is also the first time I'm hearing a formal TED Talk breaking down the thing I'm experiencing. It was an interesting experience; almost half as interesting as the card problem.
I think the most insightful thing I took away from this talk and lesson was Mihalyi Czikszentmihalyi's graph of abilities and challenges. It almost seems intuitive that for most people, if something is too challenging (in comparison to their abilities on that particular thing) they will not be interested in approaching it. In contrast, if one's abilities are way too high and something is not challenging at all, there's no incentive or purpose or reason for them to approach it. Intuition versus concrete concepts are very different and I'm glad I was able to learn how to conceptualize the phenomenon of "flow". Although the breakdowns are helpful (apathy, boredom, control, flow, etc.), I think the most important concept to take away as teacher candidates is the relationship between abilities and challenges.
I wholeheartedly believe that every student can achieve "flow" in secondary math classrooms but there are a few factors to consider. The most important factor to consider is that every student in a classroom is different; different in personality and ability. If a teacher truly wants to see every student reach this state of "flow", they have to be prepared to cater to each and every student differently. It requires immense planning and knowledge of your students capabilities as well as what things they might find challenging. Assuming that a teacher is able and willing to embark on this journey there are some other things to consider. I believe that "flow" can be more easily attained in secondary math classrooms at the two extremes of grade levels. Senior grade level students like grade 12s are motivated already to be in their classes and learn. Whether they are motivated intrinsically or extrinsically (curiosity or grades/university acceptances) is another conversation but regardless they are motivated. I believe their intentions for being in class will allow them to approach activities catered to them with genuine motivation which will make attaining that "flow" easier. I also believe there is enough teacher autonomy and room in the curriculum for junior grade level students like 8s and 9s to be given activities that will help them achieve that perfect balance between abilities and challenges. There is a much larger diversity in student ability at these junior grade levels and so teachers will need to be prepared to individualize activities to meet the needs of each student. The middle grades are a little more difficult I think to have these "flow" experiences but I do think it's possible. You will have to find the optimal point between curriculum content and potential activities that can be diversified to meet individual student ability levels.
Sahl, this is lovely. It was really great to see you and Taha so engaged with the card problem in class, and I really appreciate your sharing the high level of engagement you felt with it (even as you were mostly watching the Csikszentmihalyi video!) I know it might seem overwhelming at first to try to reach each individual student's interests and skill levels, but it's not as complicated as that might seem, as people do share many interests, and as you can modify tasks as Liljedahl suggests, while moving around the class and engaging with problem-solving groups. And don't lose hope with the Grade 10 and 11 kids-- they are wonderful too!
ReplyDelete